Update 11.30.20: Dining establishments are approved to open for curbside pick up and delivery. In-person dining is prohibited for a minimum of 3 weeks. Please review the state, county and local guidelines below to assist you with the safe and permitted reopening of your business.
- State of CA Restaurants, Bars and Wineries Guidance
- LA County Restaurant Protocols
- LA County Restaurant Toolkit
Signage Posting Requirements:
- Print and post the Health and Safety Guidelines Poster in the entry of your business.
- Print and post the Santa Monica Curbside Pick Up Parking Meter Sign on a parking meter adjacent to your storefront.
- Complete and print the City of Santa Monica Reduced Capacity Occupancy Sign. Post in public entrances.
Due to reduced operating capacity requirements inside your dining establishment, LA County is requesting you ask customers to wait for their tables in their cars or outside of your restaurant. This may require that you manage a line or waiting area on the public sidewalk adjacent to your building. Downtown Santa Monica asks that you keep your line as close to your store front as possible in order to maintain pedestrian pathways. Please remember that individuals in line must be distanced at least 6 feet apart at all times and all queuing must be ADA accessible. You can use temporary tape and the signage provided below to mark where individuals can stand while they wait. Please do not encroach on your neighbors storefront.
Queuing/Waiting Area Ground Markers
Downtown Santa Monica staff will be onsite to help Third Street Promenade businesses set up their lines. If you need assistance please call 310.877.7731.
Temporary Outdoor Dining:
Restaurants currently licensed to operate with a Santa Monica Business License can now expand their dining capacity outdoors by applying for a City of Santa Monica Temporary Use of Public Domain Permit. This permit will allow you to operate your extended dining area on public sidewalks, Third Street Promenade, private property or in a parklet, for no fee. Please review the below temporary outdoor dining options to determine which program works best for you.
Downtown restaurants currently have four options for expanded outdoor dining:
- Sidewalk Expansion: Outdoor areas on the sidewalk, directly adjacent to the business, that are enclosed and allow for additional display and/or seating.
- Third Street Promenade Roadway: Expansion into the roadway, beyond the curb of the Promenade sidewalk.
- Private Property Expansion: Expansion into privately owned property, such as parking lots, courtyards, plazas, or other privately owned spaces with the consent of the property owner or tenant.
- Parklet: Parklets are enclosed outdoor areas within an existing on-street, parking or loading space. Parklets may expand into adjacent parking spaces, with neighboring property owner or tenant permission. Please find more information in the "How To Build a Parklet" section below
If you are interested in applying for one of the above outdoor dining options, please email DTSM Operations Supervisor, Martin Ronzio-Garcia before submitting an application to the City, email@example.com.
Outdoor Dining Process and Paperwork:
- Review the DTSM Outdoor Dining Guidance documents below.
- Contact Martin at DTSM to develop a site plan for outdoor dining.
- Apply for a City of Santa Monica Use of Public Domain Permit.
- Submit a Certificate of Insurance to the City of Santa Monica in accordance with their Insurance Guidelines.
- If serving alcohol, apply for the ABC Temporary Catering Authorization.
Downtown Santa Monica wants to know your business is open! Please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opening Date
- Hours of Operation
- Pick Up and Delivery Options
- Reopening Specials and Offers
Santa Monica Cares
Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. is working with the City of Santa Monica on their economic recovery campaign, Santa Monica Cares. This community initiative will provide resources to residents, employees and businesses throughout the city's recovery journey. Complete this online form to promote your business specials on the Santa Monica Cares dedicated webpage.