UPDATE 7.13.20: Due to a rapid rise in COVID-19 cases, Governor Newsom has ordered the immediate closure of all indoor gym and fitness facilities. You may only operate in outdoor areas permitted by local zoning or other laws.
Please review the state, county and local guidelines below to prepare for the safe and permitted reopening of your business.
Temporary Outdoor Fitness:
Fitness establishments currently licensed to operate with a Santa Monica Business License can now expand their operation outdoors by applying for a City of Santa Monica Temporary Use of Public Domain Permit. This permit will allow you to operate on public sidewalks or private property, for no fee.
Looking for space to host your fitness classes outside?
Downtown Santa Monica is excited to announce the opening of Your Space Studios, a physically distanced outdoor fitness experience, where you can host your classes safely and comfortably.
Licensed Santa Monica fitness operators can now reserve one of our three 1,200 square foot, tented workout spaces located in the parking lot at 5th St. and Arizona Ave, at no cost.
Our studios can accommodate up to 10 students and 2 instructors per class, allowing each person 100 square feet of personal workout space.
Learn more about the Your Space Studios guidelines, here.
Sign up today!
Here's how it works:
- Interested operators send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes your business name and the name and email address of the contact authorized to enter into an agreement with Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. (DTSM).
- DTSM will send a Letter of Agreement for your review.
- Operator will sign the Letter of Agreement and supply DTSM with the a copy of their Santa Monica Business License and the required Certificate of Insurance. Required coverage includes $2 Million general liability, $1 Million automobile liability, and worker's compensation consistent with requirements of the State of California. Valid proof of Insurance must list "Downtown Santa Monica, Inc." as additional insured.
- Once the agreement has been executed, a DTSM representative will contact you to discuss scheduling options.
- Operators can sign up for six, one-hour times slots per week. These are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Once you have been designated your time slots they will be yours through the term of the agreement, ending on December 31, 2020.
Signage Posting Requirements:
- Print and post the Health and Safety Guidelines Poster in public entrances.
- Complete and print the LA County Gyms and Fitness Facilities Protocols. Post in public entrances.
Downtown Santa Monica wants to know your business is open! Please email the following information to email@example.com.
- Opening Date
- Hours of Operation
- Reopening Specials and Offers
Santa Monica Cares
Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. is working with the City of Santa Monica on their economic recovery campaign, Santa Monica Cares. This community initiative will provide resources to residents, employees and businesses throughout the city's recovery journey. Complete this online form to promote your business specials on the Santa Monica Cares dedicated webpage.